How To Manage Your Studies And Co-Curricular Activities Inside The Law School?
A great scholar once remarked,” Education is a weapon which no misfortune can depress and no enemy can snatch.” In the era of 21st century, education doesn’t mean pure academic education but it is a new type of education focusing on incorporating three major genres of education: reasoning, psychomotor, and emotional learning. Education doesn’t mean confining oneself within the four walls of a classroom but the object of education is to inculcate all round development of a child. All round development means intellectual, physical, moral, sensible and social development. This can be done only through education along with co-curricular activities. For this, one needs to maintain a balance between syllabus, curriculum, books and also co-curricular activities beyond that.
Co-curricular activities are the activities which are undertaken side by side with the curricular activities. These activities fall outside the realm of the normal curriculum of school or University education, performed by students. These activities are not limited to a typical pen and pencil classroom experience but it seeks to showcase the non- academic capabilities of a student. Rightly said by someone, these activities complement the curricular activities and groom the students in the “Art of living and working together”. They give an opportunity to gain practical experience. The Chinese proverb- “Teach me, and I will forget. Show me, and I will never forget” fits the situation very well. The theoretical knowledge, when supplemented by co-curricular activities, leads to the overall development of a student. Extra-curricular activities profess in a student values like educational, psychological, physical development, recreational, cultural, social and Civic value.
The various co-curricular activities undertaken by the student in a law school are-
- Volunteering- This is considered as one of the best ways to enhance the overall development of a student. Volunteering in various events like conferences, seminars, workshops provide the student with an opportunity to interact with new people and make contacts. Not only this, but it also boosts their morale and confidence as they organize things on their own and from a self-servant become a self-master.
- Debating- Debating is one spoke of a lawyer’s wheel. A lawyer is known by his voice. Debating is the best way to improve the students’ speaking skill. While participating in various debate competitions, students not only compete with their speaking skills but their knowledge is also tested. The students when provided with the topic of debate, research on that particular topic and thereby their Knowledge on that topic becomes at par with their fellow classmates.
- Moot Court competition- Moot Court competitions are the best way to realise the goal of becoming a lawyer. The budding lawyers when provided with a particular moot proposition demand their full concentration. The students while solving these hypothetical cases go through a number of all India reporters, books and cases. This enhances their knowledge on a particular section and article.
- Journals/ Research Papers- The bookworms have an upper hand in research papers. The students apart from their studies should write a research paper. This can be on any topic of their interest. It enhances their researching skills as well as knowledge.
- Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant- If one is good in studies, the best way to change the track of studies is to serve as a teaching or research assistant for any professor. This way is particularly helpful for law students aspiring to build their career in teaching. Also, it benefits the students because working with a professor on a particular subject will not only enhance one’s knowledge about that subject but will also add to the resume.
- Student groups or organizations- These student groups or organizations often maintain an active relationship with community organizations that need volunteers for introductory legal work under the supervision of an attorney.
- Pro-bono activities- Many law schools offer the students with an opportunity to work in their legal aid and Services Clinic. The various pro-bono activities undertaken by these clinics foster a sense of awareness and confidence among the students. Apart from this, it benefits them for their CV.
- Internships- One of the best ways to gain practical experience is through internships. Interning with a lawyer, law firms and various NGOs help the students to look into the nitty-gritty of the area. They learn various things and also they can appreciate their work.
- Sports- These various extra-curricular activities play a vital role in the development of a student. It leads to an overall development of the child. It strengthens the self-confidence of the students by nurturing sportsmanship, competitive spirit, leadership, meticulousness, cooperation, team spirit. Also, it improves their academic performance and offers them with greater opportunities. This inculcates in the student a sense of responsibility and exposes him to various new activities.
But the biggest question that strikes the mind of various law students is how to manage studies and co-curricular activities together. Well, this not being a very tough task can be done in various ways. Let us look at each one of them in detail.
- Time management- One of the best solution to tackle this problem is through managing time properly. Today’s students possess talent and opportunity both, but they lack in time. This is because they don’t know how to manage their time properly. So, the students need to devise a proper mechanism to manage their time.
- Proper Organization- This method is well supported by a famous quote “Work smart, not hard”. Many a times it is found that students who work hard lag behind. It is due to the fact that today’s curriculum demands smart work not hard work. Students who work smartly not only do well in studies but they grab other opportunities which come to them.
- Consistency- Consistency is the word to be found in the dictionary of every law student. Law being a dynamic subject demands consistency. Law students can’t be static. What they need to do is they need to be consistent. They need to keep themselves updated with recent amendments, reforms etc.
- Right approach- The students need to adopt a right approach to deal with situations in which there is a conflict between their studies and co-curricular activities. Most of the problem is solved by one’s mindset.
- Be on time- It is very important for a law student to be on time. Most of the problem is solved if a student completes his assignments on time. To excel in both studies and co-curricular activities one needs to keep pace with time.
- Focus on diverse areas- The student shouldn’t confine himself/herself to one specific area. Instead he/she should focus on diverse areas. This will help them in studies as well as co-curricular activities.
- Looking at one’s interest- Everyone in this world is unique in its own way. In fact, everyone has their own areas of interest. Nobody can excel by imitating others. What one needs to do is to work on his/her own specific interest.
- Make a routine- Since childhood, the most common line we hear is, “Make a daily routine”. Well, this age-old philosophy works very well. Making a daily routine can actually help one in managing his/her time efficiently and then one can actually spare some time for these co-curricular activities.
- Talk to good people- Make it a habit to talk to good people. It works as a kind of relief in our toiling schedule. Also, they provide the much-needed inspiration.
- Make a to-do list- The students when they make a to-do list can actually manage their timetable properly.
Thus, these are some of the best ways to manage studies and co-curricular activities together in a law school. Once a student succeeds in doing this, the world will be on his knees.
Blog is written by-
Niharika Mittal, Law student,
Banaras Hindu University
Visit our Instagram page @lawyergyan at this link.
For more BLOG/ NEWs, CLICK HERE.
Please Subscribe for more updates.
How To Manage Your Studies And Co-Curricular Activities